Saturday, September 7, 2013

Probability can be fun!

My Math Lab is such a awesome tool! It is a great way for students to practice the math they are being taught. One aspect that I really like is that you know if you got the aanswere correct. If it is wrong it has the tools to show you where and error was made and walk you through the entire process. I like this so much more than turning in a piece of paper and hoping the answere is correct.
Some of the questions can even be fun! I did this problem the other night and thought it was so cool I wanted to share it.


A box contains 8 letters, Shown as CHARTING. What is the probability of the outcome CHAIN in that order if 5 letters are drawn one by one? With Replacement? Without replacement?

Now there are 8 letters in CHARTING so each letter has a one in eight chance of being drawn in that order
There are 5 letters in the word CHAIN
So Multiply 1/8 five times
1/8 x 1/8 x 1/8 x 1/8 x 1/8 = 1/32768

Got it?
Let's try this now without replacement. C has a 1/8 chance, H has a 1/7 chance, A has a 1/6 chance, I has a 1/5 chance and, N has a 1/4 chance. Now multiply

1/8 x 1/7 x 1/6 x 1/5 x 1/4 = 1/6720

Wasn't that fun! Go show someone else and I bet they will love it. Who knew probability could be fun?

No comments:

Post a Comment